30 items of clothing, 8 pairs of shoes, 2 bags
I have the same rules for accessories as I do for my clothing and shoes. I want to have as few items as possible, with maximum versatility.
Most of my accessories are used for practical reasons. Some, such as my jewellery collection, are used to enhance my look. Accessories can really affect an outfit, changing its whole ‘mood’.
I consider ‘accessories’ to be anything I wear that does not include my clothing or shoes. In this post I will be discussing handbags, belts, jewellery, hats, and scarves.
1. Handbags. Both my handbags are black leather clutches in the same size. One has a speckled pattern on it, the other is plain. I have not purchased a new bag in about a year and a half. For reasons of practicality, I have considered adding a crossbody style to my wardrobe, but I have not found one I like at this point. If you want fewer handbags in your life, I would suggest you go for classic styles in neutral tones with minimal embellishments. Simple items never fall out of style and will always remain relevant in your wardrobe.
2. Belts. I have one belt, and it is not a real belt – it’s just the tie from my trench. I don’t have real belts in my life because I’ve never worn them a lot. I don’t often wear things that accentuate my waist, it is not my style to do so. If you are someone who likes belts, I would suggest you use them to create interest in an outfit. Belts can be fun, so consider creating a focal point with something a little more exciting.
3. Jewellery. I have tried to keep just a few of my favourite necklaces, rings and pairs of earrings. Most of my outfits are quite simple, so I like to wear jewellery with a bit more character. Jewellery can really affect a look, as it comes in so many different styles, and works as a real signifier when it comes to fashion. A pair of earrings alone can be read as casual, conservative, formal, or any number of different ways. Keep jewellery that helps you create the ‘vibe’ you are going for.
4. Hats. I don’t wear these often, because, as my friends like to remind me, I have a small sized head. I have a cap to protect me from the sun and a beanie to protect me from the wind. Hats can be a really great accessory in a wardrobe, as well as providing protection from the elements.
5. Scarves. My beautiful pashmina is one of the oldest items in my wardrobe. It’s also the most colourful thing I own. I wear it when I want a bit of colour or variety in an outfit. As it is warm, it is excellent for travelling with. Scarves are really utilitarian items that can be used to decorate your body or home, protect you from the cold or sun, and even be used as blankets!
Below is my video about accessories in a small wardrobe. Check out my YouTube channel for more videos, my Instagram account for daily outfits, and my Facebook account for minimalist resources and updates. I also have a Patreon account where for a small donation you can view additional content. Enjoy!