30 items of clothing, 8 pairs of shoes, 2 bags
During the last couple of years I have significantly reduced the number of products that I bring into my home. I have been trying to establish what items I can do without to minimise the number of redundant things in my life. Here are five beauty products that I have stopped purchasing.
- Conditioner. My hair is fine, dry and brittle. I have always been sceptical about the benefits of conditioner. I have been using coconut oil as a leave in conditioner for quite some time now, definitely longer than I’ve been minimising. I rub the oil into my hands, then into the tips of my hair and comb it through. Coconut oil works really well for me because I use it for a number of different purposes.
- Moisturiser. I no longer purchase moisturiser for my body or face. I also use the coconut oil for this purpose. The simple fact is a natural oil such as coconut may be somewhat messier to apply but it has the same benefits as a commercial lotion, without any of the chemicals.
- Excess makeup. I rarely buy makeup these days. As I have greatly minimised my makeup consumption, I simply replace my favourite products when I run out. There are very few occasions when I look for a new product in this category.
- Cleansing wipes. I used to be addicted to cleansing wipes. I used them between work and working out, so that my makeup didn’t run when I broke into a sweat. Because I have stopped wearing foundation on most workdays, this is no longer an issue. If I do need to wipe off some makeup quickly, I use witch hazel on a cotton ball.
- Cleanser. I used to have two products for washing my face, a cleanser and an exfoliator. I really wanted to reduce this to one, so I now I only use a light exfoliator. My face does not seem dry, so this process works fine for my skin.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Below is a video on the topic. Check out my YouTube channel for new minimalist videos every week, my Instagram account for daily outfits, and my Facebook account for minimalist resources and updates. I also have a Patreon account where for a small donation you can view additional content.