30 items of clothing, 8 pairs of shoes, 2 bags
Second hand is not a dirty word anymore. The connotations of buying something used, old, worn out and dirty no longer apply!
Over the last six months I have been reconsidering my shopping habits. While I still believe in buying good quality items, I feel that it is possible to get these secondhand. I have purchased preloved furniture, appliances and clothing, and I am pleased with what I have acquired.
Why should you consider buying second hand?
1. Excellent value. When you purchase something new, whether it be a car, appliance, or a new t-shirt, you instantly lose value on that purchase, meaning you will most likely not be able to sell it for the same money that you paid for it.
2. Reduce waste. Buy purchasing pre-owned goods, you are essentially recycling, keeping items out of landfill. In making the choice to buy secondhand, you also avoid purchasing from companies whose practices may not be sustainable or ethical.
3. Easy to find. There are so many ways to purchase secondhand items, both in the real world and online. You may even have the option of returning items, which reduces the risk of getting something that does not do what it’s supposed to.
4. Good quality. People discard items at alarming rates these days, so it’s easy to find high quality items for a fraction of the price. These days secondhand and quality can go hand in hand. It is possible to buy second hand items that are new or in excellent ‘as new’ condition.
5. Buyer’s remorse. If you purchase something you’re not sure about, and you get it for a fraction of the price, you feel a lot less hesitation about reselling it or giving it away if you decide it doesn’t suit you.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Below is a video on the topic. Check out my YouTube channel for new minimalist videos every week, my Instagram account for outfits, and my Facebook account for minimalist resources and updates. I also have a Patreon account where for a small donation you can view additional content.