This post has been a long time coming. I have been meaning to bring you an apartment tour since I moved into my ‘new’ place, almost exactly one year ago now!
As you will see, the decor in my apartment is pretty simple. I really don’t have a lot of furniture, as I prioritise empty space. The place is quite small, consisting of just a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and living room.
When designing your space, it is really important to consider your authentic needs. As with all spects of my minimalist journey, I have really thought about what I do and do not need in my apartment. Below are the factors that have influenced my decision making.
- Usability. The main factor that has influenced the decor of my home is how I use it. I have prioritised objects that are useful to me, and eliminated things that are not. The main things I do in my apartment are sleeping, working and eating. Most things in the apartment pertain to these activities.
- Lifestyle. I spend a lot of time moving around these days, and I want to do this more in the future. I also work a lot, and most of my leisure time is spent outdoors. I therefore do not want a high maintenance home. I want it to be simple, clutter free, and easy to maintain.
- Aesthetic. I like clean, neutral, uncluttered spaces. Lots of surfaces, and things on surfaces stress me out. I also really love rustic looking objects, and wanted this to be reflected in my space.
- Maintenance. I do not like cleaning, and I do not have a lot of time to clean. At the same time, I need my space to be clean! I have designed my place in a way that it is low maintenance. Cleaning was one of the main reasons I got rid of my couch.
- Future goals. I do not want to spend all of my time in my home town next year. I want to be more mobile, and possibly even move away. For this reason, I have been keeping a minimum of belongings. I know that what I do own could be packed up really quickly and easily.
Below is my apartment tour video.
I recently deleted my Facebook account, but you can still check me out on YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest! I also have a Patreon account, where I post additional content weekly. Patreon subscribers receive a number of benefits, including additional weekly content, early access, and discount in the Small Wardrobe shop.